Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Our Winter Wonderland

I've never lived on the southern hemisphere, so in my mind Christmas and the holiday season is closely associated with cold weather. Not necessarily snow, because winters in Hungary haven't been the same lately (though last year was pretty snowy), but cold nonetheless.

But this!

Guys, this is amazing. Very beautiful and very scary at the same time.
I spend much of my time outside, walking from one class to another, and all this snow takes me back to the time of my great grandfathers. Traffic is really slow, buses are scarce, and people are wearing rubber or sturdy boots and ski jackets. The whole town seems to have slowed and the usual throngs are missing from the snowy streets.

I don't know if it's to be considered good or bad in general, but I really like the fact that no salt or sand is poured onto the streets. Some say they're saved for the highways but I put it down to environmentalism and smile when trudging the 30 cm deep snow.

Oh, well, I guess I'll need to get some of those boots. This snow doesn't seem to be stopping soon.

Hugz and snowflakes
from Geneva
with love.

fleur

No comments:

Post a Comment