Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Unemployed in Geneva

OK, just a quick update if anyone ever gets unemployed in Geneva (or arrives as such on a permit) and starts wondering how it works.

I went to the ORP [or RAV in the German speaking parts, which is how I was looking for it in Geneva with little success as in French it's ORP ] yesterday and found out the following:

They are really helpful, upon registration (which you can do even if you're employed at the moment but getting laid off soon, etc.) you go through some aptitude tests and the like and you get all sorts of help and counseling in your search for a job.

If you've worked for at least 12 months in the last 24 months, you might be entitled to some chomage as well. Even if this was in another country. Due to bilateral agreements, I might even get some money but that's totally not what I'm interested in, so I don't really care that much. But it's good to know and anyone in such a situation should definitely check with them. There are lots of factors they consider so it takes time till they can tell you, though.

Anyway, then there are courses you can take and trainings and they might even persuade an employer to employ you, as they offer to continue paying you and you'd start working as an intern, sort of. So this can also give a kick to your career.

Now I don't know what jobs they'd find me. But as I'm not interested in the money (as a penalty for refusing an "appropriate" offer, you can be deprived of 30-45 days of chomage), I can refuse as many cleaning jobs as I want. (It would be a totally different thing if I didn't speak French or was here of my own accord. As I'm not I can't see how any of these would help me with my career.)

If you have any questions about this, please post your questions and if I haven't answered them as yet, I'll try. Note that I've only been to the introductory presentation so I don't know everything just yet. But I'm really looking forward to the whole experience, I've never ever been officially unemployed and they made it sound kind of fun.

There are lots of obligations, like the papers I'll have to fill in month by month and I'll also have to be looking for a job actively, but as this is what I'd be doing anyway, I'm not scared. And all they can penalize with is taking days off my chomage, which doesn't really concern me. However, I want to do this right, because I think it's a great opportunity to take advantage of some professional help.

No comments:

Post a Comment